How Scented Candles Affect Your Mood
One thing that should never be overlooked is the power of smell. It is scientifically proven that scented candles play a vital role in the physiological effects of our mood, mental health, and stress.
Here's the thing about our sense of smell. It stimulates the part of our brain that is connected to memory and mood. Scents have access to the limbic area of our brain which is known as our “emotional part of the brain”. As a result, our emotions and smell are deeply connected.
So any time you smell something good such as a scented candle, the relationship between your sense of smell and brain is triggered which has the ability to enhance your health and mood.
Depending on the type of candle you light or smell, can enhance your well being or otherwise known as aromatherapy candles. Aromatherapy candles can function in many ways such as helping you relax, feel more productive, or energized.
For example lavender candles can help with anxiety, and insomnia. Citrus candles that include lemon, oranges, grapefruit, bergamot are known to keep have an uplifting and energizing effect.
Some other powerful scents that can be used to help with anxiety or stress are:
- Lavender - relaxes instantly both mind and body
- Cinnamon - relief and relaxation, increased alertness, improved memory, and increased mental focus.
- Orange - used for encouragement, confidence, courage, self-esteem
- Lemon - ease nausea and revitalize mind and body
- Apple - balance your emotions and calms your mind
- Peppermint - wakes up your mind and enhances focus.
- Frankincense - helps battle anxiety and gives great stress relief.
- Sandalwood - relaxes and calms body and mind.
- Vanilla fragrance has been rated as the most relaxing fragrance for decades